Irrigation and flowers

One of the facts of country life is well water. The city and the county don’t run water out to us. We supply it ourselves from ground water. Unfortunately for us, the people who lived here before us bought a very small water tank which means that in the summer time we can run through it faster than the well can fill it up, a situation that can result in well burnout, dirt in your water and other bad things.

In my quest to keep the garden hydrated I have installed drip irrigation and begun filling milk jugs with water whenever I thought we had some water to spare. Luke thought up a brilliant plan to pump water out of the three drums shown below and I use that to water the parts of the garden that don’t have drip irrigation running to them.


Together these three provide around 165 gallons of water and each barrel can be filled up in about a day (done at a slow drip so that the tank can refill as we pour water into the barrels. The pump was a necessary installment because gravity does not provide enough pressure. Gravity might be enough if we built the barrels a platform to stand on, but the garden is long and we didn’t want to risk it.


The water comes from our faucet through this 5 gallon bucket where it then drains into the barrels (as long as the bucket is higher than the water levels in the barrels otherwise the water in the barrels drains into the bucket). It is not exactly a pretty looking system in my garden, but it is helping my plants to thrive and for that I am grateful.

Now on to what is of interest in the garden right now!


My Veronica ‘Royal Candles’ is in bloom.


Evening primrose (Oenethra). I love the freckles on the bud.


Tomatoes! I already have green fruit! Now it is a race to see who ripens first!


I planted a series of bare root shrubs I bought at the Lawyers Nursery sale earlier in year. I bought two spirea, one dwarf and one larger. This is the larger one. I planted all three of them outside the confines of my garden as the largest will get anywhere 4-6 ft wide and 6-8 ft tall. I dug the grass away from their planting spots and then dug holes, planted the root stock, covered them with weed cloth to slow the return of the grass and then piled bark on top to hold the cloth in place and make it harder for weeds to break through.


This is the dwarf spirea ‘Froebelli” I think.


And this is the Weigela French Lace. It has gorgeous foliage and will have deep magenta flowers. I can’t wait to see how these guys come along and I have my finger’s crossed that the voles won’t eat their roots out over the winter. I spent about $4 on each, so if they do it won’t be a huge loss. I will just be sad.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: